Last Updated on June 16, 2020
- What We Collect
- What We Do With The Information We Collect
- Sharing of Your Information
- Storage and Security
- Links to Other Websites
- Controlling Your Personal Information
- Children’s Privacy
- Your California Privacy Rights
- How to Contact Us
What We Collect
The categories of information we collect can include:
- Information you provide to us directly.
We may collect personal information when you create a registered account for our Service or otherwise communicate with us. Although we do not require all users to create an account to access the Service, if you are a K-12 educator or other member of the educational community (an “Educator”), we may require you to create an account in order to download and access resources and materials specifically created and tailored for use by Educators (the “Curricula”). As part of the registration process, you may be required to provide: your first and last name; your email address; an account password; your organization name and zip code; your telephone number; and your professional role. In some contexts, you may also provide us with your mailing address and payment information to facilitate the use of the Service. In addition, we may collect any communications between you and Open Up Resources such as when you contact us, as well as any other information you provide to Open Up Resources.
- Data collected through the use of the Service.
We collect information about how you use the Service and your actions on the Service (“User Content”). Please remember that Open Up Resources may, but has no obligation to, monitor, record, and store User Content in order to protect your safety or the safety of other users, to assist with regulatory or law enforcement efforts, or to protect and defend our rights and property. By using the Service, you consent to the recording, storage and disclosure of such communications you send or receive for these purposes.
- Employment Applications.
If you submit an application for employment, we or our service providers collect your contact and demographic information, education, background and work history, employment interests, information obtained during interviews and any other information you choose to provide. We use this information to evaluate your eligibility and candidacy for employment, to communicate with you before, during and after the relevant application process and to facilitate the application process and any hiring steps needed prior to employment.
We gather research information to improve our operations and services.
- Automatically Collected Information.
As is true of most digital platforms, we may collect certain information automatically when you use the Service, including:
- Log File Data, including your internet protocol (IP) address, operating system, browser type, browser id, date/time of visit, and pages visited.
- Analytics Data, including the electronic path you take to our services, through our services and when exiting our services, as well as your usage and activity on our services, such as the links and objects you view, click or otherwise interact with (also known as “Clickstream Data”).
- Location Data, including your general geographic location based on your IP address.
- Personal Information from Other Sources and Third Parties.
We also may obtain personal information from other sources, which we may combine with personal information we collect either automatically or directly from you. Specifically, we may receive the same categories of Personal Information as described above from the following sources and third parties:
- Business Partners and Service Providers:
We may collect information from our business partners and service providers, including website operators, recruiters and data enrichment service providers. The information may include contact information, profile information, educational and professional history, institutional affiliations, background checks and performance reviews. We use this information for marketing, business development and personnel recruitment purposes.
- Publicly Available Sources:
We may collect information about individuals from publicly available sources, such as social media platforms (for example, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) or publicly available research. This information enables us to conduct market research, analyze public interactions with the Service, and improve the Service.
- Business Partners and Service Providers:
What We Do With The Information We Collect
We use personal information we collect to:
- To develop, maintain, improve and operate our Service;
- To personalize your user experience;
- To provide Educators with privileged access to Educator-tailored Curricula;
- To communicate with you about new products, product updates, or other information that we think you may find interesting or helpful;
- To contact you for market research purposes;
- To communicate with you to provide technical or administrative support;
- To conduct, manage and grow our organization;
- To prevent, investigate and provide notice of fraud, unlawful or criminal activity, unauthorized access to or use of personal information, our website or our data systems, and to meet legal, regulatory, judicial and institutional policy obligations;
- To investigate and resolve disputes and security issues; and
- For any other lawful, legitimate business purpose.
Sharing of Your Information
Open Up Resources takes great care to protect the information you provide us. We do not sell personal information that we collect from users with third parties for marketing purposes.
We may share your personal information in the instances described below. For further information on your choices regarding your information, see the “Control Over Your Information” section below.
We may share your personal information with:
- Our third-party partners who author and produce our Curricula (the “Key Partners”) for the purposes of improving the products and services that we jointly develop. If you indicate interest in receiving communications from Key Partners, those partners may send you email correspondence about information and services which they think you may find interesting or helpful, using the email address you have provided. When your Registration Information is submitted to our Key Partners, they will have no rights to share your Registration Information with any third parties, and we require them to exercise reasonable care to protect your Registration Information. Please note that you may opt out of sharing your Registration Information with our key partners by following the steps as further described below in the “Controlling Your Personal Information Section”.
- Other third-party vendors and service providers that perform services on our behalf, as needed to carry out their work for us, which may include providing mailing services, providing marketing services, providing tax and accounting services, web hosting, or providing analytics services.
- Other parties in connection with an Open Up Resources transaction, such as a merger, sale of Open Up Resources assets or shares, reorganization, financing, change of control or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another Open Up Resources or third party, or in the event of a bankruptcy or related or similar proceedings.
- Third parties as required by law or subpoena or if we reasonably believe that such action is necessary to (a) comply with the law and the reasonable requests of law enforcement; (b) to protect the security or integrity of our Service; and/or (c) to exercise or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Open Up Resources, our visitors, or others.
We may also share information with others in an aggregated or otherwise anonymized form that does not reasonably identify you directly as an individual. For example, we may use and share aggregate or anonymized data to study and improve our Service, user functionality and product offerings.
Storage and Security
Storage and processing:
Your information collected through our Service may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Open Up Resources or its affiliates or service providers maintain facilities. If you are located in the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that we may transfer information, including personal information, to a country and jurisdiction that does not have the same data protection laws as your jurisdiction.
We care about the security of your information and employ physical, administrative, and technological safeguards designed to preserve the integrity and security of all information collected through our website. However, no security system is impenetrable, and we cannot guarantee the security of our systems 100%. In the event that any information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and, where appropriate, notify those individuals whose information may have been compromised and take other steps, in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations.
To provide a personalized and high-quality experience for our users, we, and our third party partners, may use various technologies that automatically collect certain types of usage information when you visit our Services, read our emails, or otherwise engage with us. We typically collect this information through a variety of tracking technologies, including cookies, web beacons, embedded scripts, location-identifying technologies, file information and similar technology (collectively, “tracking technologies”). These tracking technologies cookies collect information about how you use the Service (e.g., the pages you view, the links you click, emails you open, and other actions you take on the Service), information about your browser and online usage patterns (e.g., Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, browser language, referring / exit pages and URLs, pages viewed, whether you opened an email, links clicked), and information about the device(s) you use to access the Service (e.g., mobile device identifier, mobile carrier, device type, model and manufacturer, and mobile device operating system brand and model). We may be able to determine your approximate location by analyzing other information, like an IP address to associate a user with their School.
We may collect analytics data, or use third-party analytics tools such as Google Analytics, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Service and to understand more about the demographics of our users. You can learn more about Google’s practices at https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners, and view its currently available opt-out options at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. Although we do our best to honor the privacy preferences of our visitors, we are not able to respond to Do Not Track signals from your browser at this time.
We use or may use the data collected through tracking technologies to secure the Service, improve the Service, to save you time, to provide better technical support, and to track website usage. For example, tracking technologies help us to: (a) remember information so that a user will not have to re-enter it during subsequent visits; (b) provide custom, personalized content and information; (c) to provide and monitor the effectiveness of our Service; (d) monitor aggregate metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, and usage on our website and our Service; (e) diagnose or fix technology problems; (f) help users efficiently access information after signing in, and (g) otherwise to plan for and enhance our Service.
If you would prefer not to accept cookies, most browsers will allow you to: (i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a cookie, which lets you choose whether to accept it; (ii) disable existing cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject cookies. Please note that doing so may negatively impact your experience using the Service, as some features and services on our Service may not work properly. Depending on your mobile device and operating system, you may not be able to delete or block all cookies. You may also set your email options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether you have accessed your email and performed certain functions with it.
Links to Other Websites
The Service may contain links to and from third party websites of our business partners, advertisers, and social media sites and our users may post links to third party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their collection, use and sharing of your information. We strongly recommend that you read their privacy policies and terms and conditions of use to understand how they collect, use, and share information. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content on the websites of third party sites.
Controlling Your Personal Information
Profile and Data Sharing Settings:
You may update your profile information, such as your name, contact information and institutional affiliation, and may change some of your data sharing preferences on your user account page.
How to control your communications preferences:
You can stop receiving promotional email communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided in such communications. We make every effort to promptly process all unsubscribe requests. You may not opt out of service-related communications (e.g., account verification, transactional communications, changes/updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices).
Modifying or deleting your information:
If you have any questions about reviewing, modifying, or deleting your information, you can contact us directly at email@example.com. We may not be able to modify or delete your information in all circumstances.
Open Up Resources does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 on this Service. We also do not knowingly collect personal information from or about individual students via the Service. No student personal information may be provided to the Service. In the event that we learn that we have inadvertently collected personal information from a child under age 13 or a student, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have collected personal information from a child under 13 or a student via the Service, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits you to request a list of the third parties to which we have disclosed “personal information” (as that term is defined under applicable California law) for such third parties’ direct marketing purposes. We may share your personal information with our Key Partners at your request, but currently do not otherwise share personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.
How to Contact Us
Open Up Resources
1600 El Camino Real, Suite 155
Menlo Park, CA 94025