The leading with equity webinar series is designed for educators seeking to open doors to educational equity in their environments.
The 3 Part Series:
“Now is the time to disrupt status quo educational experiences, dismantle inequitable education structures, and reimagine education.”Dr. Kristopher J. Childs
March 17, March 24, March 31, April 7 @ 7:00PM ET
Becoming An Equity-Focused Educator
In this phase, participants will explore becoming an equity-focused educator:
- Learn practices to increase and encourage equity within their classroom
- Empower to lead within their role and environments, while understanding what social emotional learning should look like.
- Unpack the importance of engaging families and communities.
Module 1: Equitable Practices for Today’s Classrooms
Module 2: How to Champion Equity Initiatives
Module 3: Social Emotional Learning in Equity Classrooms
Module 4: Why Is Engaging Families and Communities Important?
April 21, April 28, May 12, May 19 @ 7:00PM ET
Becoming A Culturally Relevant Educator
In this phase, participants will learn about culturally relevant education and how to enact these principles within their classrooms. Participants will gain:
- A framework for developing and implementing a culturally relevant lesson
- Deepening students’ understanding of ELA and mathematics content
- Strategies to develop lessons that extend beyond the traditional classroom and into students’ communities
- The ideal classroom environment conditions for students to thrive academically, socially, and politically
Module 1: How do I develop a better understanding of my students and their unique cultural backgrounds?
Module 2: How do I deepen students’ understanding of ELA and mathematics content through authentic connections to culture?
Module 3: How do I develop lessons that extend beyond the traditional classroom and into students’ communities?
Module 4: What are the ideal conditions to create an authentic culturally relevant classroom environment that allow students to thrive academically, socially, and politically?
August 11, August 25, September 15, September 29 @ 7:00PM ET
Becoming An Anti-Racist Educator
In this phase, participants will learn the key components of becoming an anti-racist educator.
- Explore the rationale for becoming an anti-racist educator
- Learn strategies to talk to students about race and racial justice
- Increase ones knowledge base to teach with an anti-racism lens
- Learn how to address inequity power structures and policies within their purview.
Module 1: Why should I become an anti-racist educator?
Module 2: How do I talk about race and racial justice with students?
Module 3: How do I develop my knowledge base to teach with an anti-racism lens?
Module 4: How do I address inequitable power structures and policies within my purview?
Meet the Session Facilitators
Dr. Kristopher J. Childs
Chief Equity & Justice Officer
Open Up Resources
Washoe County Schools